As consumers become more and more reliant on their smartphones to purchase products, the importance of a good search feature in ecommerce mobile apps has only increased.
A good search feature can mean the difference between a customer finding what they want and giving up in frustration. In this blog, we will discuss what makes a good search, good practices for ensuring the customer finds their products, noteworthy examples of search implementation, how mobile app search differs from web search, and extensions that can help improve search performance.
What Makes a Good Search?
A good search feature should be fast, accurate, and intuitive. It should be able to provide relevant results quickly, even if the customer only types in a few keywords. Additionally, the search should be able to understand and process typos, synonyms, and other forms of misspelling. A good search feature should also provide suggestions and allow customers to refine their search results by category, price, brand, and other relevant factors.
What are some good practices to ensure the customer finds their products?
- Use a combination of product descriptions and attributes such as brand, color, size, and price to return the most relevant results.
- Offer search suggestions and autocomplete features to help customers find what they are looking for more quickly.
- Allow customers to filter and sort search results based on their preferences.
- Offer product recommendations based on the customer’s search history and previous purchases.
- Continuously monitor and improve search algorithms to ensure that results remain relevant and accurate.
What Are Other Noteworthy Examples of Search Implementation?
- MamaEarth‘s search feature implementation is one of the best in the industry. Starting with its animated search bar placeholder, which shows some of the trending searches in the search bar on the home page, grabs the user’s attention with its lively, typing-like animation right from the beginning.
- Then there are trending search tags, which are shown below the search bar on the search page. These search tags add to the search experience by showing the trending searches to the customers, which in a way shows what items other customers are searching for and what the best products are. We can also use them to avoid typing if they have what we are looking for.
- Also, there is a recommended product listing, which is shown below the trending search tags on the search page, like “Best Sellers” and “Recently Viewed.”
- And lastly, dynamic search results, a feature that instantly displays relevant results based on our input as we type, which makes it easier to find what we’re looking for with as little effort as possible, is one of the best features of the search in MamaEarth.
Another great example of search implementation can be seen in Nykaa Man’s mobile application.
- The Nykaa man’s mobile app search feature has many other valuable features, like image results for recently searched items, search suggestions, and search tags like “popular category,” “popular brands,” and “search by concern tags,” like “for dry skin,” “for hair fall,” etc. They also have sort and filter features implemented in their search result page.
How is mobile app search different from web search?
While the basic principles of search remain the same, mobile app search has some key differences from a web search. First, mobile app search is typically faster and more responsive than web search. This is because mobile apps can access the device’s hardware and software directly, whereas web search has to rely on slower network connections. Additionally, mobile app search can be customized to take advantage of the unique capabilities of mobile devices, such as voice search, camera search, and location-based results.
Extensions And Integration That Can Help with Improved Search Performance
There are a number of extensions, integrations, and Shopify plugins that are available in the Shopify app store that can add additional features and also help improve the performance of your e-commerce app’s search feature, like SearchTap, Boost commerce, Argoid, Findify, and Zevi-ai. Most of these plugins and integrations add features like search optimization, AI, and machine learning.
A good search feature is an essential component of any e-commerce mobile app. By providing fast, accurate, and relevant results, a good search feature can improve the customer’s shopping experience and increase sales. To ensure the best possible results, it is important to stay up-to-date with the latest search technology and continuously monitor and improve your search algorithms.
No CommentsLeave a comment Cancel