The website speed or page load speed is the usual time it takes for a website to load and to run on any device. It is one of the primary determinant in its performance.
This guide helps you to scrutinize and come up with ways to speed up your website loading time and thus improve the performance of your eCommerce in terms of traffic and conversion.
Why is website speed important?
The loading time of a website influences the performance of your online business. A fast-loading website can contribute towards the betterment of your business by improving the customer experience. On the other hand, a slow loading website will adversely affect the conversion rates and traffic.
- Google ranking: The Google ranking of your website depends on your website’s loading speed. The Google ranking will go down to a lower position and therefore receives less traffic if it takes more than usual time to load.
- Customer experience: Even if the visitors reach your website, they will leave the site out of impatience if you have a slow loading speed. And, more abandonment leads to fewer sales.
How to speed up your website
Choose a powerful server
Choosing a powerful server plays a vital role in optimizing the speed of your website. There are 3 types of web hosting service or server for websites:
- Shared hosting: Though it is the cheapest, this one gives not so good results. You will have to share everything with other websites, such as CPU, RAM, storage, etc.
- Virtual Private Server (VPS): This system is half shared, and half personal system. It is a shared system where you own and use some of the resources while some resources are used by others.
- Dedicated hosting service or server: This is a system where you would not have to share resources with any other website. Though it is expensive, it is the best choice that you can make.
Show impressive but optimized images
Website agility is important during high sales and you cannot afford to have a mistake during that period. Optimizing your image files is a major step towards achieving high speed. However, it is important to maintain the quality of images. Use better images to reduce their dimensions for better optimization.
Bonus tip: Make sure that you load the exact size required for the webpages, instead of editing them in the web editor.
Use a flexible website template
It is ideal that you choose a flexible website template for an eCommerce store. Having an online WooCommerce store avoids the slowing down of your site during high sales. Also, use a responsive theme for your online store adaptable to any device will also help load your site fast during high sales.
Limit the number of plugins on your website
Plugins work like magic by adding features, functionalities, and whatnot. But the flip side is that the more plugins you add to your site, the slower it will load. So if you are planning to keep the loading speed of your website up, do some research on the extra plugins that you need. While most of them contribute towards extra functionality, some may just add noise and underlying problems.
Add a plugin to clear cache
Although you should be careful while installing the plugins, you can also go for a specialized plugin that can help you to compress the images and files in order to improve performance. Clearing the cache always paces up the loading time and thus loads the content fast.
Reduce your HTTP requests
Use CDN (Content Delivery Network)
Managing a high sales day without your website crashing is a hard task. Having a good server alone won’t do that work. On a high sales day, the overflow of requests to the same server can cause overloads and slowness.
A CDN or content distribution network wares the copies of your data on a large network that extends the availability of servers. Like this, each upload request is made from the server closest to each user, and not from a single server that may be located elsewhere geographically).
To conclude, improving the loading time of your website is a key objective in order to optimize your online eCommerce store. This will help you grow your business by boosting both traffic and conversions.
Already a WooCommerce store owner? Build a Mobile App to Win More Customers
Appmaker specialises in Quality and Performance guaranteed, E-Commerce Android/iOS Apps for E-Commerce Businesses. Get in touch